Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Who knew helping people could get so political?

It was a day like any other day. The snow was falling here in Norman, I was in and out of the office frequently, and a man came to the church door asking for assistance. I was on my way out of the office, so I met him at the door and said, "can we walk and talk together?" He said "sure". Now, from my extensive and vast experience...I've noticed that people approaching other people for assistance are typically well accustomed to the formalities of conversation. There are the cordial phrases like "good afternoon", "how are you", sometimes even a "you look nice today." This man was no different. I asked him his story and eventually made it around to what he needed.
He was living out of his van, and he needed gas vouchers to sustain the temperature throughout the night. I let him know that we don't have money for vouchers or other financial forms of assistance, but I asked him if some blankets would help. His face lit up and he said that would be great! By this time in the conversation we were beginning to really connect with each other. We managed to cut-up a little as we both walked down to FBC's clothes storage room where we kept some blanket donations.
This is where the story gets interesting. I pulled out a few options and he was really grateful and sincere in his acceptance of the blankets. As we were leaving the storage room I said "so, (we'll call him steve)...So, Steve, how did you come to be living in your van." And his response was typical..."the anti-christ has been attacking me lately." Huh. Okay. I looked at him, and my initial response to something that catches me off-guard is laughter. But as I began to chuckle I noticed he was more serious than he had been since we first met 20 minutes ago.
As we picked up the pace heading for the exit, I figured the next best question would be, of course, "who's the anti-christ, steve?" I hadn't read the paper that day yet, so I thought maybe I had missed something. He continued in the most serious tone, "President Obama." Oh boy. I couldn't help but try to keep the conversation light so I had to continue to smile and chuckle a little bit. I wanted him to think that I thought he was kidding, when in reality I knew that he meant every word.
And just when you thought that was it, he said, "Don't tell him you helped me. Be careful what you say on the phone. They're listening to every word." I think an entire episode of the X-Files unfolded before my eyes.
I let him know that he was welcome to come to our Sunday lunches and Food Pantry/Clothes Closet. He really was a nice guy, and represents one of the so very many people who are living out of their vehicles these days.
See, the people whom society is trying to forget can be the most political. God loves us all.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Joey. I would have had a hard time not busting out laughing too. As I am reading these I wonder how you all take donations. Our church doesn't take clothes and such, but we regularly clean out closets and have tons of stuff that we take to United Way or something. Can I drop stuff off at the church? Or I may just give it to Joe and Ginger??? Love these posts...they keep me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute, many people up here think that Scott Brown is the anti-Christ. I'm confused. Perhaps this "A-C" person is two people in one. I'll do some more research and get back to you. This is no longer a laughing matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. That's a pretty funny story. I just went back and read all of your previous blogs and loved every one. I'm going to have to come here daily!

    ReplyDelete