Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

All before 9am...

When I arrived to work at 7:45 this morning things were slow.  I turned on the lights, disarmed the alarm, and took a few deep breaths as I decided to keep a dim ambiance in my office by only turning on the lamp.

All before 9am...

A local crack-dealer came by to use the restroom of the church and with the utmost of sincerity confessed that the voices in his head have been tempting him towards violence.  To which I responded, "Well, we all have voices in our heads.  The hard part is knowing which ones to listen to.  Be patient and smart.  Don't let anyone try to make you do things you don't want to do."

A friend of mine who's homeless came by to receive a bicycle.  He has been diligently looking for jobs, but has been limited by his range due to a lack of transportation.  Until now.  I look forward most to the conversations I have with people who come in.  Everyone has their own obstacle whether it comes from within themselves or from someone around them.  Today we discussed the "drama" of the streets.  "It's like being back in High School" he said.  I laughed.

A woman came by to pick up some sheets because she's been stretching (and ripping) a full set over her queen mattress.  She just moved into an apartment, she goes into work early at a fastfood restaurant to prove to her boss that she's a hard worker, and she has a few sons (one of which won't make it out of jail before Thanksgiving).  I asked if she would like a painting in my office (one was donated last week).  Upon seeing it she gasped and said, "That matches the comforter my sister gave me for Christmas!"


What a morning.  I love the people my job allows me to come in contact with.  I hope Christ's love is seen in all we do here at FBC Norman as we continue to grow into our missional identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment